Tuesday, January 27, 2009

CYBER FYBER....The Future!


CYBER FYBER was a tremendous success. I've decided to mount CYBER FYBER 2! The exhibition is scheduled from January 7 - 19, 2010 at Gallery 80808/Vista Studios.

IT WILL NOT BE THE SAME!

There is no possible way that I could force myself to do the same thing. CYBER FYBER 2 must be an evolution of the ideas, connections, and concepts from this year. It will still focus on the supportive, global community of fiber artist using the Internet for inspiration and conectivity. I would like the main gallery to feature an international juried exhibit. To this end, I'm already seeking sponsors for significant awards and will be learning about securing quality jurors. I would like to include fiber postcards too....but not traded ones. I would also like to create an installation.

Below are some of my thoughts. I've written this as an email to a close cyber friend and am now sharing these ideas. I want feedback.....ideas, suggestions, new concepts, and comments....basically BRAINSTORMING!

From my recent email:

The main gallery during CYBER FYBER was devoted to the work of the invitational artists. As you know, I selected artists who represented a unique benefit to the Internet world of fiber arts. This was great. The signage included all the reasons for each person's inclusion. I think everyone who walked through the gallery "got it". Next year, however, I'd like the main gallery to evolve into a juried exhibit....the "best of the best" sort of thing. Having submitted for such exhibits, I'm familiar with how this should operate. I'm also aware that in order to attract truly high quality artists, I need substantial prizes and really qualified jurors. This will take MONEY. I'm thinking $1500 for first place; $1000 for second; and $500 for third. There will have to be a few $100 honorable mentions. I'm not sure how much jurors cost but I'm hoping $500 each....for 2 jurors.

Unlike the Pfaff Embroidery challenge that always has a theme, this would not have a theme. The only requirements would be: mostly fiber and each artist would have to have an Internet presence....a blog, website, Flickr!, Stitchin Fingers, active profile, etc....somewhere the public can leave a comment for each artists. Afterall, CYBER FYBER and CYBER FYBER 2 are about the Internet connected community. Each person has to be a "member" of this on-line, supportive, global network. I know that juried shows like this are a bit elitist. I know this means that some people will pay an entry fee and recieve a rejection. I know this because I've opened plenty of rejections myself!

I also know that the fiber postcards were undoubtedly the most popular part of CYBER FYBER for those in the supportive, online community. I know that CYBER FYBER 2 will have to have postcards. But, I'm not about to make hundreds of postcards again this year. For me, that part has to be over! Right now I've got this enormous collection. I hope to donate it for some good purpose but in the meantime I don't need to be adding to this collection! Personally, it was fun making the first round of postcards...but I don't find it fun anymore.

What do you think of this idea: Fiber artists who want to be involved in CYBER FYBER 2 simply send a postcard. They temporarily become my personal property. Each postcard must be from someone in the cyber community. Each one will be hung in the gallery. There will be another on-line PEOPLE'S CHOICE award. There will be another BEST OF SHOW jurying. However, I want to partner with a museum....a GOOD museum....high profile place that already has a connection with fibers. This museum would end up with the postcards.....accepting at least 20 into the permanent collection. The remainder could be sold in their gift shop, used in some sort of charity event, etc.

Do you think that stitchers would participate? I just don't know if people were more interested in trading with me personally, being part of an exhibit, or what. Do you think people would send great postcards just to be in a gallery exhibition, an on-line exhibition, and with the possibility of getting their postcard into a museum.....or do you think they really want something in exchange?

I think the ATCs will evolve into a second International Random trade....but not be part of the exhibition or the on-line exhibition.

I also think that I'd like Maggie Grey's concept to evolve into an installation. Maggie Grey asked the world for comments on her blog and then used the text to create the works she made for CYBER FYBER. I'd like to suggest that fiber artists send me scraps and threads as a gesture of our common stitches and sense of community. I would document whatever I receive and promise to use all the materials in the creation of an installation. The scraps and threads would have to be all fiber but could include any writing, message, stitch about the Internet connected community and/or indications of that part of the physical world from which the material came. The installation's working title could be "Stitched Earth" or "Global Threads" or "The World Wide Web in Thread" or some such thing that addresses both the Internet community and fiber all at once....an evolution of the original concepts....and something totally new and wonderful for me to do!

Well....there it is....my brainstorming. Let me know what you think.

19 comments:

Cheryl Gebhart said...

Personally, I would still want to be part of Cyber Fyber even if I didn't get something in return. While I love the atc and postcard I traded with you, I would submit a postcard again without a trade. And the chance of getting one of my works in a museum is pretty good incentive. One museum I'd like to recommend to receive the postcards is the Museum of the American Quilter's Society, in Paducah, Kentucky:

http://www.quiltmuseum.org/index.html

Carol said...

I hink all these ideas are fantastic, they are varied and build on the oint your at with cyber fyber, but are more realistic so you don't go bonkers!!! I love th idea of sending bits and pieces for you to use in an installation, that would be just fab, people could even stitch a bit, add something to it and then you "weave" ( You know i don't mean that literally) it into a whole.
I would e glad to send a card the whole taking part was definately what it was all about for me. I can't tell you how I felt thinking of people walking around and seeing my card!!!! I was ear to ear happy to be used in the advert and had a knowing little smile while i was telling off lazy 15 year olds off, thinking about the exhibition. I think this sounds like a wonderful evolution of the idea. You will get sponsorship, I just know it!

Jackie said...

You can keep my postcard if it ever arrived. I'd love it to be part of an installation for the next cyber fibre!

Gail V said...

I definitely think folks will send postcards for exhibit even without a trade. I know I will. It's great to be part of such a cool exhibition of fiber art. - Gail

bookwraps by suz.com said...

oh, I would diffently participate in any way you decide to set this next exhibition up Susan...no trade required (smile) ... just being part of this online fiber art community is what it's all about for me...
all though I do cherish my trades with you...LOL...

ps...really like the idea of "bits & pieces"

pps... if you don't want to keep & store the postcards after the exhibit---you could have the participants address & put proper postage on their pc's & just mail them back after the show---- maybe with a "special hand-stamped seal" (like a rubber stamp) saying they were part of the exhibit instead of the "trade" ...

Nikki said...

I think most people would be more than happy to send a card just to be part of the exhibition without anything in return. Just being accept and shown in a gallery is a huge incentive!

One thing I thought about was all the online challenges. Perhaps you could have one or several challenge topics for the postcards and explore one more way the internet inspires creativity.

Joanie Hoffman said...

Dear Susan,
Here goes, easy stuff first: yep, leave the ATCs out of the show.
Question: is the juried exhibit and the PC exhibit the same thing?
OR would the juried show involve art bigger, maybe more involved, than a PC? Of course when I saw the word "juried" I did think right away of the word "elitist".
I don't see how a juried show & Cyber Fyber (CF), with it's ideas of "supportive global community" fit together. I liked the idea that with CF1 anyone could particpate just for the price of a trade. (Another easy part, no, I don't think trades from you are needed this go round). So what if online you have categories (people, the color red, motion, etc) and participants involved with an internet presence (sounds like an affair with a ghost)would enter the PCs in a specific category, then you have an online voting, then the 3 best in each category get thrown in with the juried PCs (if this CF is all PCs). Kind of mix up the "elite" : ) with the common folk? all of them could be exhibited. This is brainstorming so who knows what makes sense yet, right?
I like SuZstuff's idea of addressing and postage stamping the PCs so they can get back to the creator or to anyone that person chose, say, "Mary" in a local nursing home.
Whew, my brain is excited but tired, and my work day is just starting. Thanks for opening this up to the world. I hope you get lots of ideas!
Happy days,
Joanie Hoffman

Kate North said...

Can't speak for others, but I'd certainly send a PC/ATC to CF2 whether I got one back or not. And would be happy for my PC to go to museum collection or fundraising or whatever in the end. :)

Wanda said...

Tell me what to do and how to participate and I'm in!!

Muriel said...

It's exactly what I hoped : a new Cyber Fyber Exhibition!No problem if no trade, just the pleasure to participate . Thanks to you Susan, you have made a great job!
So like Wanda, "Tell me what to do and how to participate and I'm in!!" :-)!

lindacreates said...

I would love to participate in any way I could. I don't need a trade, it was wonderful and I will treasure my postcard, but being part of the whole Cyber Fyber was the best part for me. I would also happily have my pc donated to a museum or sold for a cause. I am sure you will have great success in putting it all together.

CarolD said...

I was so thrilled just to be part of 2009 Cyber fyber and would not hesitate to be part of 2010 which ever way you decide to run....no trade required (smile) ... Most artists are excited of having their work exhibited for the sheer joy of it. I also like SuZstuff's idea of the PC returned with a "special hand-stamped seal on it -- but then the idea of it raising funds also appeals to me. Good luck with sponsporship !! Thank you Susan for a wonderful 2009 Cyber Fyber!!!!!!

Guzzisue said...

I agree with Wanda, just count me in !!!

Maggie said...

I would gladly participate again even with no trade in return.

Michelle said...

I would participate again, no trade necessary. I like the museum idea, and will let you know if any brainstorms hit!

Lilyweeds at Augusta Kent Studio said...

Susan, I had so much fun participating in CyberFyber one (even if the weather kept me from attending), that I would love to be part of CF2 no matter how you set it up. I would also jump at the chance of being part of any installation if that becomes a possiblilty.

Anonymous said...

I would love to participate in this project. Even though I often resent how much time I spend on my computer, the truth is that I have learned a lot and made a lot of good connections thanks to the internet. I would suggest you contact the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell MA. They have a continual line-up of wonderful exhibits. http://www.nequiltmuseum.org/
It would be fascinating if the individual cards could become part of one image in an either planned way or an organic way, sort of like pixals in a digital photo.
Just a thought - Rebecca

Fannie said...

Susan, I love all your ideas. The idea of the possibility of my postcard being in a museum sounds exciting; no trade necessary, although I do cherish my trades with you. Thanks!

I would be more than happy to send along some fiber to help with your installation and anything else you may need.

I'll be watching for updates on Cyber Fyber 2. Hurray!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure most of us would still want to contribute, and probably a host more who only heard about #1 too late. As to the rest, whatever will make it happen and keep you interested enough in the project to do what still sounds like a hell of a lot of work :)